GoldSrc (HL1 / CS 1.6 / ...) support is officially dropped

ripieces

GoldSrc (HL1 / CS 1.6 / ...) support is officially dropped

Post by ripieces » 2017-07-11T14:24Z

I am officially dropping hereby the support for GoldSrc (Half-Life 1, Counter-Strike 1.6, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, ...) after 10 years.
Thank you to those that were with us since 2007 and enjoyed the "fun" while it lasted.

It's just I am not motivated to update AfxHookGoldSrc at the moment (as required due to yesterday's update by Valve) and also not sure if I would have enough time for that.

Please be aware that AfxHookGoldSrc is open source under MIT license and people are welcome to try to fix that mess / adjust it to their own needs.

olosd3

Re: GoldSrc (HL1 / CS 1.6 / ...) support is officially dropped

Post by olosd3 » 2017-07-11T15:09Z

<3

Zero Tolerance

Post by Zero Tolerance » 2017-07-12T16:11Z

Very sorry to hear that.
Anyway, thank you for all you've done.

bastian

Post by bastian » 2017-07-13T17:33Z

Well, this is sad news! But thank you a thousand times for your amazing work over all those years!

But I have to say I came to the forum today because HLAE is not working anymore, looks like a steam update is the culprit.
So just this question, is there anything you can recommend in this situation? Any trick to revert to a previous steam version? Could this be done by overwriting some files?

ripieces

Post by ripieces » 2017-07-13T18:46Z

Are you talking about HLAE for GoldSrc (Half-Life 1 / ...) or for Source (mainly CS:GO)?

If the former, then sorry, I don't have a good answer to that, and I don't want to talk about no-steam versions (i.e. the ones from 2009 which are compatible with HLAE 2.2.21.14 (2013-02-09T14:16Z)).
If the latter then there are no known problems with it at the moment, please read the error message / post it so we can try to help.

bastian

Post by bastian » 2017-07-13T20:10Z

Sorry, I was talking about GoldSrc (CS1.6). But I fixed it! I copied the whole Steam folder from another PC that hadnt been online for some weeks. It works again!

...only now "mirv_matte_entityquads" has no effect... no matter what settings I use, the muzzleflash is always in the worldstream.
A few weeks ago it worked just fine, so I tried some older HLAE installations, but no difference. Any idea on this? I am sorry for bugging you like this.

ripieces

Post by ripieces » 2017-07-13T20:52Z

These 2 are related, not sure which one controls it:

https://github.com/ripieces/advancedfx/ ... ntityquads
https://github.com/ripieces/advancedfx/ ... _particles

Which values are you using?

bastian

Post by bastian » 2017-07-14T15:15Z

I set both at "2" by default, so with "splitstreams 3" the sprites shouldnt be in the worldstream. I tried all different settings but the HE explosions and muzzleflashs are always rendered in the world stream. I already reinstalled different versions, I will mess around with it later tonight. It's strange because some weeks ago it worked just fine.

Judeau

Post by Judeau » 2017-07-22T02:52Z

Gah... I was in the middle of a project for GoldSrc (TFC). I don't have any earlier versions of TFC. There's no hope for continued GoldSrc support? No way to roll back or download an archived TFC zip someone might have? Any other way I can somehow get this working long enough to finish my project?

This blows. :{

ripieces

Post by ripieces » 2017-07-22T20:41Z

I am not planning to look into GoldSrc again at the moment.

You have two options, not sure if one will work for you:

a) You can simply copy over the files from an install past the 2013 updates over the current Steam version with Steam in offline mode and use that then. Problem is where to find it. In this case use HLAE 2.34.5 (2017-07-08T14:48Z) from the download page.

b) You can also use the previous version from the July 2009 updates (which is also available as No Steam version I think). Problem here is where to find it without trojans / viruses, also the feature set of the related HLAE version might be different / more limited. In this case use HLAE 2.2.21.14 (2013-02-09T14:16Z) from the download page.

Judeau

Post by Judeau » 2017-07-26T23:22Z

Thanks, I managed to find an archive of Build 6153 and got it working again.

May as well take this opportunity to ask an unrelated, newbish question, in case you're inclined to know and answer before you wave goodbye to GoldSrc forever. As I said I'm in the middle of a TFC project, and unfortunately one of the recorded matches I wanted to use was the 2nd match on a recorded demo. Playdemo will play all matches recorded on a demo, but viewdemo will only play the first. I need viewdemo for its controls and I believe to get the dem_forcehltv feature to work. Do you happen to know of either any way to access the 2nd match while using viewdemo, or alternatively any way to get forcehltv (or the demo from the pov of other players, when they're within render range of my client) with playdemo?

Thanks. =x

ripieces

Post by ripieces » 2017-07-27T08:32Z

I am not sure if it will work, but you can try on a COPY of the demo this:

listdemo
swapdemo
http://sr-team.clan.su/K_stat/hlcommandsfull.html

Basically I think you need to swap the segment 1 with the following segment you want.
(Segment 0 is other required data and cannot be moved I think.)

I am not sure if these commands still work, they used to work, but maybe they have broken them.

Judeau

Post by Judeau » 2017-07-31T00:47Z

I couldn't get those commands to work (TFC demos only seem to have the loading header segment you referred to and then the entirety of match play in the other segment, with no way to manipulate the two), but I managed to track down an old copy of SK Player which had the ability to strip all but the last match of a demo. Unfortunately, I then realized I actually had 3 matches on the demo and needed to viewdemo the 2nd, so then I just had to blindly text edit the .dem file to remove a bunch of stuff towards the end, and then had SK Player strip the first match and repair the file. That miraculously seemed to do the trick, and I got what I wanted out of it.

Thanks for the responses all the same, I appreciate it, and for all the work you put into the GoldSrc portion of HLAE over the years. =)

NeverMore

Post by NeverMore » 2017-08-16T11:00Z

I don't know anything about HLAE or moviemaking. But still sad to hear this news. Many of the sick CS 1.6 movies i had watched over the years probably used HLAE while making them.

The reason i am here is i recently (6 months ago) got motivation to play CS 1.6 after like 8 years, hell even got motivation to download old tournament demos and watch them without fast forwarding :P

Anyway i always wondered why spray/tap/crosshair looks weird (bugged) while watching demos no matter using playdemo or viewdemo. It just doesn't look like as if i were playing.

Then i googled and found this
https://github.com/ripieces/advancedfx/ ... ike_ch_fps

Got excited and and then BAMMMM. Here i am :(

I also wanted to know how to make "flashbang work" while playing demos. I mean i wanted to get blinded when watching as first person. There seems to be some mirv command that could help. Unfortunately i can't test :(

Anyway i respect your decision and thank you for all the things you did for the movie scene.

Sorry about my english

DustStriker

Post by DustStriker » 2017-09-20T18:30Z

Is there anyway I can get my hlae to open cs1.6 Non Steam? I was recording some frags for a fragmovie and I logged in today to record more cinematics, I truly understand why you are no longer working to update GoldSrc dll, I just can't stop recording cs1.6 now, not now that I'm going so far on it. I tried using a really old hlae version but I couldn't even change my in-game fov to work out the cinematics...